Saturday, November 1, 2008

What Should I Do With All These Paper Towels?

I successfully eliminated paper towels and napkins from my house over a year ago. When my mother-in-law comes over and asks for paper towels and I hand her a rag. She came over yesterday to celebrate Halloween with the kids, arms filled with strawberries, grapes, chocolate cake and you guessed it...paper towels. Not just one roll but a 12 pack from Costco. I know she meant well and I thanked her for thinking of us, but now what?

I could use them but I would feel guilty every time I threw one away. Maybe I could donate them to my daughter's school, but still, it makes my tummy hurt a little knowing someone is using a disposable product that came from me. I really don't know what to do with them. It took me so long to train my family to use rags and linen napkins, I don't want them to backtrack.

So here I sit, looking at a rolls upon rolls of paper towels in my bedroom.

3 comments:

Brooke M. Walsh said...

Donate them to a food shelf. I'm sure they could use them.

I completely know how you feel, though. I have a box of platex pearl tampons from who knows how long ago that I don't know what to do with. I feel weird giving a product I won't use to someone.

Jen said...

The food shelf is a great idea. I also thought of local shelters...

I know how you feel though - I hate it when I wind up being given "gifts" that throw all my best efforts of reform to the dogs and saddle me with stuff I won't use.

Meghan said...

I agree with a food shelf or shelter ideas. Or a soup kitchen. You know they will use them and since it's going for a good cause, you don't have to feel sooo bad about giving disposable products to others.