Friday, August 15, 2008

Don’t wash the dishes!

Yep, you heard me, don’t wash the dishes.

In my quest to make my home environment greener, I found an article in Reader’s Digest called, “Conserve Your Energy”. As I thumbed through it, those four words jumped out at me, DON’T WASH THE DISHES.

How can you not wash the dishes I mused…maybe biodegradable cookware made from corn, or let the dog lick them clean. Hey, dogs are supposed to have clean mouths, right?

I read on, the first sentence says, “Leave the job to a professional: your dishwasher.”

Well that wasn’t the groundbreaking answer I was expecting but it is certainly do-able. Apparently as long as you wait for the dishwasher to be full before you run it, you actually use less then a third of the water that you would use if you washed by hand.

Nice! My kids are going to love this. No more rinsing dishes just scrape the food and stick them in the dishwasher.

I love it when the solutions are simple.

No comments: