Monday, September 12, 2011

Mr. Mom for Three Days

I needed a break - badly. I had been going non-stop for almost two years. Working from home full time, taking care of six kids, taxi driving and housekeeping; most of you know the drill.

I treated myself to three whole days of Me Time in LA with my best friend Alana.

It was heavenly.

Back on the home front my wonderful husband Chuck was holding down the fort. I made him a detailed list of kid needs along with a calendar with schedules. I had him prepared right down to the time that he had to leave the house.

I left a list of banned school foods so that he didn't pack contraband sugar, meat, eggs or nuts. I reminded him that he needed to send cold water bottles with all the kids and at least two snacks each in addition to lunch.

I didn't think that it was that much.

I got a call Monday night that went something like this...

Chuck, "I don't understand how you keep up with all of this! How do you get anything done when you are constantly driving or catering to kids? When do you work?!?"

*Insert me smiling smugly*

"I need you to text me a list of things to pack the kids for lunch, I don't understand why they can't have peanut butter! (There is a child with a deadly nut allergy at school, I've told him this at least a dozen times)  Do they have to go to Hebrew school? Can we skip gymnastics? Do I have to take them all to the grocery store?" Chuck, sounding really stressed out. "I couldn't get the Littles to sleep so I put them in our bed and Tali kicked me all night while Zoe snored like a man."

At this point I am feeling extremely validated. I assure him that they can skip gymnastics this once but not Hebrew school. I also inform him that the kids know how to behave in the grocery store. I remind him where the coupons are and wish him luck.

He did well but he didn't use any coupons but whatever. The kids were safe and happy and the house was relatively clean. Most importantly; Chuck had a little glimpse into my wonderful chaos and I don't think he be taking me for granted anytime soon.




No comments: