Thursday, May 6, 2010

Healthy Sweets

As you might know I've recently given up sugar and gluten. I can say that not only is my acid reflux gone but I've lost 7 pounds so far. I feel better, I look better and I'm not starving.

However, Aunt Flow is getting ready to come for a visit and I WANT CHOCOLATE!

I went to the drugstore and against all my principles bought sugar-free turtles. They were sweetened with Malitol which I thought maybe wasn't as bad as Splenda or Aspartame. OK I knew that Malitol wasn't good but I was desperate.


It took maybe 30 minutes to go through my system. I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that my body doesn't like Malitol AT ALL. I had the worst stomach ache. ****TMI WARNING**** I had horrendously smelly, loud and embarrassing gas. It was bad. I think Malitol might also cause anal leakage...just saying.

That was last night.

Today things aren't much better in the craving department. I WANT SUGAR NOW!

This time instead of putting toxins in my body I went to my kitchen to see what I could throw together. I found figs...what could I do with figs?

I put the figs in my Cuisinart and started searching for nuts. I wanted cashews but all I had were peanuts. I dumped some peanuts in the Cuisinart as well. Soon I had a nice dough.

I tasted the dough and it wasn't quite sweet enough. I added a tiny bit of honey (something I haven't eaten since I gave up sugar, and some vanilla because well, everything is better with vanilla. I rolled them into balls and put them in the fridge.

YUM YUM YUM

They turned out so good. I didn't take notes so I can't write the recipe but keep in mind next time you want to give your kids a healthy sweet: figs + nuts + honey + vanilla = yummy goodness.

No comments: