Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Save Water-Pee in the Shower

My husband Chuck has been hounding me to publicly endorse peeing in the shower. He is convinced that is saves water. I was leery about the actual benefits of peeing in the shower so I did a little bit of research.

I was amazed to discover that you can save a minimum of 584 gallons of water per year per person in your household by just peeing in the shower once a day instead of the toilet. (bohemianrevolution.com)

Well gosh darnet, the man is on to something.

According to the Free Republic, 42% of Americans already pee in the shower. Imagine how much water we can save if we can get the rest of the country on board.

I also heard a rumor that peeing on your feet in the shower prevents athletes foot. I couldn't find any conclusive evidence either way. Some experts agree while others maintain that keeping the foot as dry as possible and NOT peeing on it is the answer.

Some people may be concerned with the general grossness of peeing in the shower. Rest assured that unless you eat asparagus, the pee smell will wash right down the drain. Asparagus eaters may want to pee before they wash so that the soap can dilute the asparagus smell.

In the wise words of my husband " Save Water-Pee in the Shower"



He's very proud of himself as you can see :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

HAHAHA! Having met Chuck...even for that short bit...I can totally hear him talking about this seriously!

myratfink said...

I find this hysterically funny being that I DID pee in the shower today (am a firm believer in it, in fact) and I DID remember shortly thereafter that I HAD eaten asparagus for lunch. What is it about asparagus that does that, anyway? I always mean to look it up online but I'm always on the toilet... or in the shower... when I think about it.

My earthy momma odyssey said...

For what it's worth the smell is due to a metabolite called methanethiol

Jen said...

I'm not ashamed to admit I pee in the shower. I don't shower daily, though, so I'm not saving nearly as much water as all that. We do follow the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" rule in our house, though... excepting our guest bathroom. We don't expect visitors to deal with our pee.

I've gotten out of the habit of reading blogs of late, but now I'm reminded of how much I love reading yours! :)