Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why Yes - I Do Make My Own Mayo

I'm a busy mom, entrepreneur, taxi driver, cleaning lady...you ladies know what I mean. Some of my friends think I am nutty for taking the time to make things like mayonnaise, spaghetti sauce and tortillas.

I have a very good reason for taking an extra 10 minutes or so to make my own food. Check out this popular brand of mayonnaise label.


My kids do not need copious amounts of sugar; especially when it's completely unnecessary. Spaghetti sauce, ketchup, even mustard are sugar/high fructose corn syrup offenders.

It's so simple to make mayo that I'd rather just whip it up then feed my kids. I should add that we don't use mayo very often so this isn't a daily or even weekly task.

Below is my recipe *warning* it does contain a raw egg.

1 Organic egg yolk
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. mustard (I mix mustard seeds, vinegar, garlic and salt in the blender)
salt to taste
about 1 C Olive oil

I put everything but the oil in a bowl and beat on the highest speed. I slowly add in the oil until it has the consistency that I'm after.


That's it.

It's so easy and the kids have fun helping me beat the ingredients.

I have to add that it tastes so much better, in my opinion. I made tuna salad a few weeks back. Now normally tuna salad doesn't go over so well with the kids, however after making it with my mayo - every single one of them cleared their plates.

Food for thought. Snicker, snicker.

No comments: